Brazilian Style One Pot Chicken Stew With Black Beans- This recipe is HEARTY and full of flavour. It’s healthy, it’s simple and it will keep you full for hours! Containing a whopping 33g of protein per serving, this chicken stew will make the perfect post-workout meal.
Easy One Pot Chicken Stew With Black Beans recipe
This recipe is perfect during the colder months as it is full of warm spices to fire you up. It has Paprika for smokiness and Cinnamon for earthiness, both flavours combined make this one of my favourite recipes to enjoy in the winter. If you live in cold, rainy London like I do, then this recipe is just perfect all year round!
It is very easy to make and once you load the pot with your ingredients, you can leave it to simmer away and develop it’s rich taste. All of the ingredients come together and work perfectly. the longer you leave it to cook, the better.
It is also a great weeknight meal for the whole family, my daughter absolutely loves this recipe. But if you love a bit of spice in ya life, you can always tweak it by adding chilli powder or even freshly chopped chillies- it is totally up to you!
You should definitely give this recipe a go if you’re looking for something high in protein. It is also very healthy as it includes beans, tomatoes and minimal fat. Who said healthy eating has to be boring?
What Ingredients go into this Brazilian style chicken stew?
In my opinion, this chicken stew is pretty simple in terms of ingredients. Everything is easily accessible at your regular supermarket.
For this recipe you will need:
- Chicken breast
- Chopped tomatoes
- Smoked paprika
- Ground cinnamon
- Chicken stock
- Tomato puree/paste
- Black Beans
Why Use Cinnamon?
When you hear cinnamon, I’m sure the first thing that comes to mind is; cakes, apple pie, spiced fruit and more. But trust me when I say cinnamon is extremely versatile and doesn’t just taste good in sweet treats!
Before this recipe, I had never used cinnamon in savoury cooking before but after much reading and being inspired by other recipes, I decided to give it a go. Once I incorporated this spice into this Brazilian style chicken stew, I wouldn’t have my chicken stew any other way!
Cinnamon in this dish definitely adds some depth as well as an earthy flavour that pairs perfectly with the paprika and the beans. If you’re not much of a cinnamon fan, you can reduce the amount- but honestly, you just have to try it to know what I’m talking about!
Is This Chicken Stew Recipe Healthy?
This chicken stew with black beans is high in both plant and meat protein with 33g in total! For anyone wanting to lose weight, this is a perfect meal for your weight loss journey. Protein is needed in your diet to help provide your body with extra energy as well as helping you maintain a lean body and muscle mass.
My recipe is also minimal in saturated fats and I typically use chicken breast over dark cuts. Chicken breast is higher in protein and lower in calories and fats, making this recipe a much healthier option.
The black beans and tomatoes provide some extra fibre and A, B, C, E and K vitamins- whew, that’s practically the whole alphabet!
After making this, you will know that healthy food doesn’t have to be boring and dry. With the correct ingredient combinations and a lil bit of love, you can make something that is wholesome and delicious too!
What toppings can I add?
The floor is yours when it comes to customising this meal. I always top mine with coriander, mozzarella and added chilli flakes. But in the past (before I discovered my intolerance) I would also top with mashed avocado- the creaminess from the avocado pairs perfectly with this dish!
So what are you waiting for? Try this recipe NOW and let’s get cooking!
Brazilian Style Chicken Stew With Black Beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 knob unsalted butter
- 1 large brown onion
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 chicken stock cube
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cans rinsed black beans
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- handful chopped coriander
- salt and pepper to taste
- brown rice
- Dissolve stock cubes in 400 ml boiling water then set aside
- In a large pot, heat your oil and add your chicken breasts. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook over medium high heat until both sides are golden brown. Then remove.
- To the same pan put in the knob of butter. Melt completley then add your onions and garlic. Stir frequently until onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, cinnamon and paprika then continue to stir
- Add the black beans and chicken stock then bring to boil
- Place the chicken breasts back in the pot and continue to boil gently for a few minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer
- After 30 minutes, shred chicken with 2 forks then simmer without lid for 5 minutes
- Turn off the heat, serve over brown rice and garnish with coriander
- I enjoy the cinnamon flavour but you could always scale it down if preferred.
- Add chilli powder or extra fresh chillies if you enjoy spice.
- Be careful with how much salt you add to this dish. The stock cubes alone have quite a bit of salt. You can also use low sodium stock cubes. Less is always more!
So there you have it, my Brazilian style chicken stew with black beans! Let me know if you decide to give this recipe
Paige EadesJanuary 29, 2021
Oh wow – this looks delicious! I always love adding cinnamon into stews like this – it gives a whole other realm of flavour. Confession: I hate coriander but would still devour this with an alternative topping! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Paige // Paige Eades
TheDailyShaylaFebruary 1, 2021
Thankyou! I am so glad that I discovered it, it’s definitely a game changer! Please let me know what you decide to use if you try this recipe! 😀