Oh carbonara, a deliciously creamy Italian dish that we all love so dearly. This cheat weeknight spaghetti carbonara recipe is simply delicious. It is quick and easy yet full of flavour.
An authentic carbonara recipe involves raw eggs but not everyone is too fond of that idea-especially in my family. That is why I opted to use pre-made spaghetti carbonara sauce pots. It is a cheeky but oh so clever compromise. Of course I had to find a way to cheat this recipe, what can I say, I’m a mother!
An extremely delicious weeknight spaghetti carbonara recipe that is quick and simple. Your whole family will love it!
My Spaghetti Carbonara Recipe Ingredients
My spaghetti carbonara recipe is by no means authentic but it is still incredibly tasty and very child friendly. To make it you will need:
- Olive Oil
- Chestnut Mushrooms (optional)
- Frozen Peas (optional)
- Italian Herbs
- Pre-made Carbonara Sauce
- Salt and Ground Black Pepper
- Parmesan Cheese
If you know anything about my cooking, you’ll know that I absolutely love onions! Although a traditional spaghetti carbonara recipe doesn’t call for them, I couldn’t help but adding them in!
The mushrooms and peas are optional but I always add them for my daughter’s benefit. She loves green peas and the mushrooms (when cut into small chunks) cook away and become almost undetectable. Plus, they are a perfect way for you and your kids to get more veggies into your diets!
That being said, if you’d prefer to keep this recipe simple, leave them out and enjoy!
How Do You Make This Spaghetti Carbonara Recipe?
This recipe is very easy to follow and perfect for weeknight family meals.
- Cook Your Pasta
- Cook onions then follow with pancetta until slightly charred on the edges
- Add mushrooms (optional) and continue to cook
- Pour in your pre-made sauce
- Add Peas (optional)
- Stir in your cooked spaghetti
Which Sauces Should You Use?
I have made this recipe with 2 different sauces and like them both equally! I use:
- Dolmio Stir In Carbonara Pasta Sauce- If you’re using this sauce, use 2 packs for this recipe or half the ingredients for a smaller portion.
These sauce posts contain everything you’d want in a standard carbonara but I like to add extra ingredients to really make a simple recipe taste as though I’d been slaving away in the kitchen for ages!
WHY NOT CHECK OUT THESE OTHER RECIPES?
- My Quick And Easy Healthy Caramel Coffee
- Super Easy ‘Carrot Cake’ Porridge for Babies and Toddlers
- And if you’re searching for another great dinner idea, why not head over to The Grumpy Olive for their delicious pumpkin gnocchi recipe!
Easy Weeknight Spaghetti Carbonara Recipe
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 6 Chestnut mushrooms chopped
- Pancetta cubes
- 1 cup Frozen green peas
- 1 tsp Oregano/Italian herbs
- 350 g Premade carbonara Sauce (of your choice)
- 8 oz spaghetti
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- Chop onions and mushrooms into tiny pieces
- Put your spaghetti on to boil following the packet instructions
- Heat olive oil on a medium high heat and start cooking onions until soft
- Add the smoked pancetta and continue to fry until slightly charred on the edges
- Add mushrooms and cook until their size has reduced by at least half
- Sprinkle in the Italian herbs
- Add your prepackaged sauce and stir until heated through
- Add peas and allow to simmer
- Season the sauce to taste
- Once the spaghetti is ready, transfer into the pan of sauce. I don't drain it and I add a little bit of pasta water for extra creaminess
- Remove from the heat and serve with some extra ground black pepper and freshly grated parmesan cheese